I usually write a lengthy year-ender blog post, but this year, I’m keeping it short and sweet. I originally wanted to list down 16 things I’m thankful for (just because it’s more fitting for 2016 lol), but I wanted to dig deep and focus on the main things I’m grateful for. I suggest you guys do the same. Narrow it down and have a gratitude list, it could be as many as 20, or as few as 6 things. If you don’t own a blog, write it down on your notebook or type it on your phone.
I’m ringing in the New Year with this shiny ensemble, my girlfriend and I spent the last day of the year on a little road trip down south. Attended a party in the evening then spent New Year’s Eve with our respective families. I was supposed to spend my New Year countdown in Pool Club but I ended up ditching it because nothing beats welcoming the New Year with your family. My mom makes the best salmon, menudo, spaghetti and fruit salad. Nothing fancy but it never fails to give me that festive ~feels~ haha! I’m leaving you with my this simple outfit post–make sure you scroll down to the end of this post to know the 6 things I’m thankful for this 2016. Happy New Year everybody! Cheers!
- Getting the opportunity to travel the world. This 2016 I was blessed with the amazing opportunity to travel again to New York, Paris, Singapore and Hong Kong plus tick off some of my dream travel destinations such as: Italy (Venice), Netherlands, (Amsterdam), Belgium (Brussels), Switzerland (Zurich and Lucerne), Indonesia (Bali), Qatar (Doha), Cambodia (Siem Reap) and Vietnam (Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh). Never in my wildest dreams that it could all happen in one year. I made sure to make the most out of every trip by researching all the good places to visit and experience, as well as do a full-on documentation. I research in advance, plan all my outfits and make sure to match the place/s I was going to visit (#fashionbloggerproblems). It all seems crazy, but I always make sure to stop, take it all in, put all my gadgets away and enjoy the moment. I’m hoping to visit more countries this 2017!
- Finding my own personal style in photography. It may seem superficial for you but when you work as a full time blogger/influencer/content creator, photos are what gets your reader’s attention. So it is crucial for one to find his/her style in photography. I happen to love taking photos since I was in high school, my first job ever was an events photographer for 2Bu Inquirer. Now that I’m a blogger, a good photo won’t cut it. You need your own “DNA.” From the composition, post-processing to the color tones you use, it really does take time for one to find his/her own style and stick to it. I went through different phases of photography and I’m glad I found it this year. Let’s just hope I keep it up!
- Lesser, but more meaningful projects. I realized that I didn’t get a lot of projects this year. When I say “projects,” I’m talking about brands/clients who collaborate with a blogger to create content. It can be a sponsored blog post, a tweet, an Instagram post or an event you need to attend. I did not get a lot of those this year but I did get a few big campaigns and most of them are out of my comfort zone. Heck, all of them were out of my comfort zone. But my mom always tells me that in order to succeed and improve, I need to take on more challenging projects. Projects that would make me nervous. Needless to say I took on all those nerve-wracking projects, and I am very proud that I was able to get through it. Whenever I would have a project, I would always give it my 110% and make sure to always go the extra mile. I’m ready for more daunting projects this 2017! Ha!
- Always having the right attitude. If there is one thing I’m proud of, it is my positive attitude towards life. I always try to focus on the good things, instead of pointing out the negative ones. There was so much drama this 2016 amongst my friends, people in the industry, etc. I often joke my girlfriend that I’m jealous of the people who have so much drama in their lives. I feel like their lives are much more interesting than mine. Haha! But then again, we make our own problems. If you stay away from hate/drama, then you won’t get hate/drama. Easy as pie. This is what I have been doing for the past 25 years (okay I’m exaggerating) but it always works! Less drama and hate, more time to focus on your work, enjoy the company of your family and friends and find contentment in life.
- Having such amazing readers/followers. When I started dgmanila.com, never did I imagine it will be what it is today. I started out as a reader/fan. I would have a folder in my desktop that has all the screenshots of every celebrity/blogger/influencer that has replied to me. That is why I value my readers so much. Whenever I would get an email, a tweet, an Instagram comment/dm, a blog comment, I would always make it a point to reply to each and everyone of them. There are times when I would be so busy and forget to interact with you guys. But God has His own way of making sure I keep my feet on the ground and always make sure that I appreciate each and everyone of you guys. Yes, I’m taking to you. The one reading this blog post right now. Thank you so much for taking the time to open my blog and read what I have to say. It feels awesome to connect with someone I may or may not have met before. So thank you so much for being part of this amazing journey. I hope you stick around *wink wink* lol
- My loved ones. I’m taking about my family, my friends and my girlfriend. I am thankful that I have such a supportive and loving family. Since I always travel a lot, I make sure to spend as much as time as I can with my family whenever I’m home. My mom and dad, who are both so supportive and they listen to everything I have to say (although my sister is the blabber mouth in the family lol). I spend weekends with Baby Ellie, I love playing with my nephew Ashton and Daniel, my nieces Alec and Ashley. My friends whom I get to see every week. It’s amazing how we’re all from different fields but we set all our differences aside and always have an amazing time together. My girlfriend Vina who is the most beautiful, loving, caring and funny person I know. I’m not gonna lie. There was a time in my life when all of my prayers would consist of asking God to bless me with the right person. I met Vina and we have been inseparable ever since. We would have the most amazing time together and it’s amazing how we share the same passions in life. Sure, there are times when we argue but at the end of the day, we both know what really matters. I hope this year we share more amazing memories together.
How about you? What are you thankful for this 2016?