Motherhood is a tough 24 hour job with no pay, no day off and sometimes it is even unappreciated (by us). From putting with us during our awkward phases, our teen angst and ranting about our never-ending problems, our moms are always there to listen. No matter how old we get, we can always count on our moms to be there for us. My mom is in her 60s and she still works a 9-to-5 job, is active in church, wakes up as early as 4am everyday, teaches every Saturday, and still has time to cook, clean the house, listen to all my rants and like all my posts on Instagram. Haha! Seriously speaking, I don’t know how she manages to balance everything.
Moms deserve more thanks and recognition than you could ever fit into one day. Lots more. I’m sure we can all think of hundreds of reasons why we love our moms–but let’s keep it short for now and narrow it down to 10!
1. All those packed meals she prepared for us – One of the things I miss about being a kid is opening my lunchbox in school and finding out what my mom has prepared for me the day. From adobo, breaded fish fillets, menudo or hotdog (that turns your rice pink), I loved every bit of it. I’m lucky my mom still prepares packed meals for me (sometimes) when I have shoots or a very busy day. Thanks, mom!
2. When I have really good news or really bad news, she’s the first person I call – When I got robbed for the first time and almost got hurt, when I won an essay writing contest, when I got my first big break, and when I got my first heartbreak, my mom would always be the first one I would call or talk to.
3. She’s the best nurse ever – I would remember the times when I was down with a fever and she would scrub me with a hot towel with her rough hands (which I love lol). She would also take care of me on days when I would pretend I was sick because I was too lazy to go to school.
4. She makes the most delicious spaghetti – We all have that comfort food prepared by our loving mothers. My mom makes the most delicious spaghetti, turbo chicken, mechado (the softest, most tender I’ve ever tasted) and the best fruit salad ever. I’ve tried so many cuisines in different restaurants and countries but nothing beats the dishes prepared by my mom.
5. Opening the door for me when I get locked out of the house at 4 in the morning – I can’t count how many times this happened to me. I would go partying with my friends and come home at the wee hours of the morning–and completely forgetting to bring my keys. I would call my mom on her phone and she would always answer!
6. They taught us the most important life lessons – Where would we be without our mom’s word of wisdom and pep talks? From my problems with relationships or career, they always know the right things to say at the right time.
7. They’re the best listeners – Let’s face it, our moms are probably the only people in our lives who actually want to hear about every detail of our days. We can talk about the most random things and they would lend an ear. I love telling my mom everything because she’s so genuine.
8. They’re our biggest fans – our moms are our strongest supporters, coaches and cheerleaders, all rolled into one. My mom is always the one who always tells me to reply to every single comment I receive on Instagram, tweet mentions, send birthday greeting videos, etc. She makes me feel that she’s proud of me and that’s all the matters. Our moms inspire us to be our best, celebrate with us when we succeed and comfort us when we fail.
9. They would do anything for us – our moms have given up a lot for us. She would wake up extra early to prepare breakfast, or set her alarm when she knows I have an early flight, she would help me file all my taxes, the list goes on!
10. They love us no matter what – It’s amazing to know that no matter what happens or whatever we’ve been through, our moms will always be there to love us unconditionally. Be here for us through every decision we take and mistakes we make, without any judgement.
This Mother’s Day, show how much you love and appreciate your mom by spending time with her. Take her out, buy her flowers, treat her a nice meal. Since my sister is in Qatar for 6 months (she’s always the one who prepares everything during special occasions), I had to take charge. I bought my mom a nice bouquet of flowers and took her for a baking date at Cinnabon!
We got to try the new Dulce de Leche Minibon, it’s an irresistible baked goodie filled with dulce de leche filling topped with Cinnabon’s signature cream cheese frosting and drizzled with caramel on top. We were lucky that the team agreed to teach us how to bake these delicious goods! My mom and I had a wonderful time. How about you? What do you love about your mom? Create your own list and comment it below!
P.S. What can you say about our matching jean jackets and neckerchiefs? Haha! Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there!